Using Ozone for Pool and Spa Sanitation
Ozone is a highly powerful and effective water sanitizer that destroys harmful microorganisms and dangerous pathogens, such as Cryptosporidium. Scientifically speaking, ozone is a form of oxygen that is created when electrical energy breaks apart an oxygen molecule (O2), which effectively results in the creation of ozone (O3). Although O3 occurs naturally in the earth’s atmosphere, it is an effective sanitizer for pools and spas.
The diagram below shows how ozone is formed and reacts to environmental contaminants.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF OZONE?
- Destroys bacteria, viruses, and other harmful contaminants
- Stronger than chlorine and reduces chemical use by 60-90%
- Environmentally friendly and energy efficient operation
- Does not produce unpleasant chemical odors
- Will not cause painful skin or eye irritations
- Swimwear will not degrade as quickly
- Only by-product is oxygen
Although ozone on it’s own is an effective sanitizer for pools and spas, when combined with germicidal UV it becomes the catalyst for the most powerful system available on the market today.